New Mexico Rail Runner Express train tickets can be purchased on the train, online or on the Rio Metro Ticketing App. Fares are calculated based upon your individual or group travel needs.
Purchase a Ticket on the Train
- Board the Train: After consulting a schedule, simply go to the New Mexico Rail Runner Express station and get on the appropriate train.
- Pay Your Fare: After the train starts moving, a ticket agent will come by and collect fares. You can pay with cash or credit card (except American Express).
Purchase a Ticket Online
The following instructions are provided to guide you through purchasing you ticket online:
- Departing Station: Select the station where you will start your trip.
- Arrival Station: Select the station where you will end your trip/
- Rider: Select the rider type (Adult, Youth, Senior, Disability, or Student). Visit our Fare page to find out if you qualify for a reduced fare.
- Fare: Choose your ticket type (One Way Pass, Day Pass, Monthly Pass or Annual Pass)
- Quantity: Select the number of tickets you will be purchasing. If you are purchasing tickets for different rider types (for example, one adult and one student) you will need to select the tickets separately and add them to your cart. The tickets will appear in your cart and you will be able to review them before you check out.
- Travel Date: Select the date you want to travel. For monthly or annual passes, select the day you want your pass to begin.
- Add Ticket: Click the "Add to Cart" button. If you are ready to complete your purchase, click "Checkout Now." If you need to purchase additional tickets, click "Continue Shopping."
- Email Address: Enter your email address. Tickets will be sent to the email address provided.
- Payment: Enter your credit card information. Use only numbers - no spaces and no dashes. We accept all major credit cards, except American Express. Click "Pay With Your Credit Card" button to process your order.
- Print: Your ticket will be sent to the email address you provided. You can print this ticket out and show it to the ticket agent on the train. If you do not have access to a printer, you can also show the ticket to the ticket agent on your mobile device.
Purchase a Ticket on the App
Rio Metro Ticketing is the official ticketing app of the New Mexico Rail Runner Express. The app, which is available for both iPhone and Android, allows passengers to purchase tickets, check the status of the train, view the schedule, and more as the following short video tutorial shows.
- New Mexico Rail Runner Express Tickets are non-refundable and non-transferable
- Tickets are not refundable if lost, damaged, stolen or destroyed
- Tickets are not refundable if the passenger purchased a ticket and didn’t use it, purchased the wrong date or wrong station or if a ticket is purchased at a discounted rate without qualification
- Tickets purchased using the mobile app will not be refunded if accidentally activated
- Purchasing a ticket in advance online does not guarantee a seat; seating is available on a first come - first served basis
- Children 9 and under and veterans with a VA medical card, VHIC report (with another form of ID), or a Rio Metro Freedom Pass ride free
- View the Rio Metro Ticket Policy page